Makes page loads snappier, and lets folks opt into Google’s tracking empire
Almost one year ago, I quietly launched the new version of my site to rileyjshaw.com. It was the last day of the decade, and it felt momentous. But since there were still some glaring bugs and omissions, I decided to hedge the release behind a “THIS SITE IS IN BETA” banner.
It’s the end of the year again. Though there are still design problems and omissions, the site is much further along than it was on initial release. Some highlights:
- /lab no-longer crashes Webkit based browsers (lol)
- I added bunch of new scrapers. Most recently: SoundCloud, Vimeo, and YouTube.
- The design is still uh… getting there… but it’s at least simpler and more consistent now.
- I test-drove the blog and added some new features (like MDX!)
- I put a ton of meat on last year’s skelly bones. From /about to /lab to adding about 3x more quotes, this site is more substantial and chaotic than ever before.
I figure now that I’m scraping SoundCloud, I’d better start scraping YouTube and Vimeo too. Since I occasionally cross-post videos (eg. a demo / instructional video for Patchstorage), I need to figure out how to reduce the clutter caused by duplicate entries. I’ll solve that problem once I see where duplicates tend to crop up.
For now it’s mostly experiments and technical demos, but as I get braver I might start posting more music :)
Occasionally, clumsily, I make music. I had a drum kit when I was growing up. Making music looked like this: Sit down. Hit drums for an hour. Now I’ve grown up, so I share walls with landlords and neighbours whose love is conditional. And though I’ve managed to fit drums into some astonishing nooks, my recent apartments haven’t had room for surfaces that I don’t eat or sleep on. These days, I make music with a keyboard or drum pad connected to my computer. It’s the same computer that I spend most of my time programming on. Making music with it looks like this: Remain seated. Minimize my work software. Open my music software. Update music software to the latest version. Wait for updates…